Tower Hamlets Mayor clears diary as post-Woolwich attack fears in London grow
Mayor of Tower Hamlets Lutfur Rahman has cancelled public engagements amid fears of retaliation after yesterday’s suspected terrorist attack resulted in the death of a soldier in Woolwich.
The man was killed outside army barracks, with police treating the incident as an act of terrorism.
Mr Rahman is today attending a number of meetings to ensure security provisions in the borough are adequate.
A spokeswoman for Tower Hamlets Council said: “He has got a few meetings with community leaders and senior police officers. He is concerned about community tensions and the potential for retaliation.”
He is understood to have fears about the potential for far right group the English Defence League - which has plans to march through Tower Hamlets this summer - to fuel tensions in the borough.
You may also want to watch:
The incident triggered protests in Woolwich last night from the organisation.
Mr Rahman last night issued a statement in which he condemned the attacks, in which he said: “I utterly condemn this appalling act of violence in our neighbouring borough of Greenwich.
- 1 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 4 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 5 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 6 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 7 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 8 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 9 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
“This is a cowardly, disgraceful and truly shocking act and our thoughts are with the family of the victim.”
Mr Rahman had been due to unveil the latest stage of the £220million regeneration of the Ocean Estate in Stepney at 4pm this afternoon.