Two arrests over video footage of ‘Muslim patrols’
Two men have been arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and public order offences after video footage of self-styled Muslim vigilantes approaching members of the public in Whitechapel emerged.
A 22-year-old man was arrested on Sunday in Acton, west London, and another 19-year-old man voluntarily attended a police station voluntarily on Monday. Both have since been bailed until February and March pending further enquiries.
The video footage uploaded to YouTube showed people being approached by vigilantes describing themselves as a ‘Muslim patrol’.
Footage shows several men instructing passers-by to pour away their alcoholic drinks, declaring the area a Muslim controlled zone, and shouting homophobic abuse.
In the wake of the incidents, police announced they would be increasing patrols in the area.
“The Metropolitan Police Service takes these incidents very seriously and is pursuing various lines of enquiry with a view to identifying and prosecuting the individuals concerned”, a spokesperson added.
Anyone with information relevant to the investigation is asked to contact police at firstname.lastname@example.org for the attention of DI Cliff Jones, DS Chris Bagshaw, DC Stacey Yarker or to report it to police via
- 1 Plan to install gates at canalside development blocked despite ASB concerns
- 2 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 3 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
- 4 'Ruthless' killer sentenced for Isle of Dogs murder
- 5 Man 'seriously injured' after e-scooter fall
- 6 Thames Water: Hosepipe ban announced for London and Thames Valley
- 7 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 8 Teenager, 17, arrested after car crashes into Bow apartment building
- 9 Man reportedly 'chased by moped rider with large knife' in Poplar
- 10 Investigation under way after fire and explosion at Shoreditch block
101, or by calling Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.