Two new police investigations over Tower Hamlets election
- Credit: Archant
Police are investigating two new complaints over the local elections in Tower Hamlets a week before residents go to the polls for an emergency by-election.
The Met confirmed today there are now 10 investigations relating to the elections after two new complaints, bringing the total received by the police to 86.
The news comes after a 24-year-old was arrested and bailed on suspicion of postal vote fraud after officers found his car boot was full of completed postal vote applications during a routine search.
Police have said the 86 complaints of electoral malpractice include “a number [relating to] alleged behaviour of campaigners at polling stations”, but that there was no evidence that crimes had taken place “in the majority of cases”.
Next Thursday’s by-election for Blackwall and Cubitt Town ward was triggered when Tower Hamlets First candidate Hifzur Rahman died of a heart attack a day before of the May 22 election.
You may also want to watch:
Jim Fitzpatrick MP has called for the Electoral Commission to broaden its review of the May 22 election, which saw the vote count drag on for five days, to include allegations of voter intimidation at polling stations.
Tower Hamlets Council has defended its running of the local election, citing its tough new election protocol, and welcomed the “thoroughness” of the police investigations.
- 1 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 2 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 3 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 4 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 5 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 6 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 7 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 8 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 9 Scouts roll out new early years Squirrels programme across east London
- 10 Man who died in Mile End park named