Two new police investigations over Tower Hamlets election
- Credit: Archant
Police are investigating two new complaints over the local elections in Tower Hamlets a week before residents go to the polls for an emergency by-election.
The Met confirmed today there are now 10 investigations relating to the elections after two new complaints, bringing the total received by the police to 86.
The news comes after a 24-year-old was arrested and bailed on suspicion of postal vote fraud after officers found his car boot was full of completed postal vote applications during a routine search.
Police have said the 86 complaints of electoral malpractice include “a number [relating to] alleged behaviour of campaigners at polling stations”, but that there was no evidence that crimes had taken place “in the majority of cases”.
Next Thursday’s by-election for Blackwall and Cubitt Town ward was triggered when Tower Hamlets First candidate Hifzur Rahman died of a heart attack a day before of the May 22 election.
You may also want to watch:
Jim Fitzpatrick MP has called for the Electoral Commission to broaden its review of the May 22 election, which saw the vote count drag on for five days, to include allegations of voter intimidation at polling stations.
Tower Hamlets Council has defended its running of the local election, citing its tough new election protocol, and welcomed the “thoroughness” of the police investigations.
- 1 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 2 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 3 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 4 Brick Lane's famous bagel shop launches delivery service
- 5 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 6 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 7 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff wants his side to impose themselves on Barrow
- 8 Voting in the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Planning Referendum
- 9 Updated appeal for information about man last seen in Poplar in January
- 10 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape