Unprovoked attack on 72-year-old man in Bethnal Green Road
A 72-year-old man was punched in the side of a head after being set upon by a drunk man in an unprovoked attack in Bethnal Green Road on Saturday.
The victim, who was knocked over by the attack, had just left the Tesco store where he had bought shopping.
He was walking towards Squirries Street when an Asian man, believed to be around 20 years old, around 6 ft tall and wearing a white t-shirt and jeans, assaulted him at around 10.30pm.
The attacker had to be dragged away by his friends who then went on to help the elderly man, who received slight swelling to the side of his head.
Det Con Parveen Akhtar said; “This is a totally unprovoked attack and we would like to speak in confidence to anyone who witnessed this or the group of friends who assisted the victim.”
You may also want to watch:
Anyone with information should contact Mr Akhtar in the Violent Crime Unit at Limehouse Police Station on 0207 275 4546 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 2 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 5 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 6 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 9 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 10 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report