UPDATE - 42-year-old Bromley-by-Bow shooting victim dies in hospital
A 42-year-old man who was shot while riding a bike in Bromley-by-Bow on Friday night has died in hospital.
Wayne Stockdale of Poplar was shot in the head in Rounton Road by two suspects firing handguns and died in the Royal London Hospital at 12.50pm yesterday.
Police believe that Mr Stockdale was not the intended target of the shooting and are keeping an open mind as to whether the shooting is gang-related.
A spokeswoman said detectives are also investigating whether Mr Stockdale was associated with anyone who may have been the target.
DCI John Crossley, who is heading the investigation under Operation Trident, said: “At this stage we do not believe Wayne was the intended target for this incident which saw shots fired both at him and into the street.
“We would appeal for anyone with information or any witnesses to please contact us as soon as possible.”
He suffered multiple gunshot wounds and was found in an underpass at the corner of Rounton Road and Knapp Road.
- 1 Single van racks up £36k of fines in Tower Hamlets
- 2 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 3 Delayed Canary Wharf 'portacabin' hotel hopes to open in 2022
- 4 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 5 Free vegan food at Spitalfields Market
- 6 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 7 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi
- 8 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 9 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 10 County lines drug dealer jailed
Police officers were called to the scene at around 10.20pm and the London Ambulance Service and Air Ambulance attended as well.
Neighbours in Rounton Road witnessed paramedics fighting to save his life from a nearby balcony and one eyewitness said a group of around 17 people ran away from the scene.
The two suspects are described as black or Asian and wearing face coverings and they made off towards Knapp Road and got into a car.
A post-mortem examination will be held at 2pm tomorrow in Poplar mortuary.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the incident room on 020 8733 4212 or if you wish to remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.