UPDATE - 42-year-old Bromley-by-Bow shooting victim dies in hospital
A 42-year-old man who was shot while riding a bike in Bromley-by-Bow on Friday night has died in hospital.
Wayne Stockdale of Poplar was shot in the head in Rounton Road by two suspects firing handguns and died in the Royal London Hospital at 12.50pm yesterday.
Police believe that Mr Stockdale was not the intended target of the shooting and are keeping an open mind as to whether the shooting is gang-related.
A spokeswoman said detectives are also investigating whether Mr Stockdale was associated with anyone who may have been the target.
DCI John Crossley, who is heading the investigation under Operation Trident, said: “At this stage we do not believe Wayne was the intended target for this incident which saw shots fired both at him and into the street.
You may also want to watch:
“We would appeal for anyone with information or any witnesses to please contact us as soon as possible.”
He suffered multiple gunshot wounds and was found in an underpass at the corner of Rounton Road and Knapp Road.
- 1 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 2 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 3 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 4 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 7 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 8 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
Police officers were called to the scene at around 10.20pm and the London Ambulance Service and Air Ambulance attended as well.
Neighbours in Rounton Road witnessed paramedics fighting to save his life from a nearby balcony and one eyewitness said a group of around 17 people ran away from the scene.
The two suspects are described as black or Asian and wearing face coverings and they made off towards Knapp Road and got into a car.
A post-mortem examination will be held at 2pm tomorrow in Poplar mortuary.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the incident room on 020 8733 4212 or if you wish to remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.