UPDATE - Gunmen who shot innocent bystander were aiming for another target in Bromley-by-Bow
The two gunmen who killed Wayne Stockdale in Bromley-by-Bow were aiming for another target, detectives have revealed.
Mr Stockdale, 42, of Poplar, was cycling through an underpass at the corner of Rounton Road and Knapp Road when he was shot by two suspects carrying handguns at around 10.20pm on Friday night.
He died yesterday from his injuries, which included being shot in the head, in the Royal London Hospital.
Det Chief Insp John Crossley, who is heading up the investigation for Operation Trident, said the suspects, who are described as Asian or black, ran through the underpass, past the injured Mr Stockdale and into Devons Road.
The two men then fired at another person in the direction of St Paul’s Way before heading back in the direction they had come and getting into a car in Knapp Road.
Mr Crossley said: “If Wayne had been the intended target, the suspects would just have made off straight away.”
Detectives are keeping an open mind as to whether the shooting is gang-related but Mr Crossley said there was no reason to believe Mr Stockdale had ever been involved in gang activity.
- 1 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 2 RideLondon 2022: East and central London roads among 100 miles of closures
- 3 Travel bulletin: Islington, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 4 Abba Voyage: A spectacular trip into an enchanted world
- 5 Tower Hamlets neighbours must 'temporarily leave' and pay £85k for building repairs
- 6 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 7 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 8 Police looking for missing man last seen leaving hospital
- 9 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 10 Call for pictures of your Platinum Jubilee street parties and celebrations
The police do not currently have any further information on the second person who was shot at.
Mr Crossley also said there was “quite a large group of people” in the area at the time which is close to takeaways and shops in Devons Road and he appealed for any witnesses to come forward.
Anyone with information should call 020 8733 4212 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.