Victim appeal as ‘vile’ paedophile jailed after more than 30 years preying on children in east London
- Credit: Archant
A ‘vile’ paedophile who preyed on ‘vulnerable’ children for more than 30 years has been jailed.
Mark Ryley, from Sawbridgeworth, was found guilty of abusing a girl as young as six during a four-decades-long string of sexual abuse in east London and Hertfordshire dating back to 1981.
A spokesman for children’s charity the NSPCC said: “Ryley’s decades of sickening abuse against young girls was ultimately stopped by the bravery of those he targeted.
“Thanks to their tremendous courage a vile sexual predator is behind bars where he cannot harm other children.
“It’s vital that children are educated about abuse from an early age and know that if it happens to them it is never their fault and they will be listened to and supported when they speak out.”
You may also want to watch:
Ryley targeted three girls he knew under the age of 16 one of whom exposed him when she came forward in 2013 to report seven years of abuse she suffered from the age of six.
Two more victims emerged during the police investigation exposing abuse Ryley subjected them to from the early 2000s until 2014.
- 1 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 2 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 3 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 4 Brick Lane's famous bagel shop launches delivery service
- 5 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 6 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 7 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff wants his side to impose themselves on Barrow
- 8 Voting in the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Planning Referendum
- 9 Updated appeal for information about man last seen in Poplar in January
- 10 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
Ryley, 56, was found guilty of six counts of indecent assault, seven of sexual activity with a child, one of assault by penetration and two of attempted rape. He was sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court on July 13 to 14 years behind bars.
Det Cons Sherai Israel said: “This was a complex investigation relating to the abuse of vulnerable victims that began more than 30 years ago.
“I commend the victims for their bravery in coming forward and would ask that if there are any further victims out there that they contact police.”
If you have been a victim of Ryley, contact police on 020 8217 6537 or 101.
Children can contact Childline for confidential help, 24 hours a day on 0800 1111 or by visiting childline.org.uk