Video: ‘Fear Allah’, hate preacher Anjem Choudary tells shopkeepers at anti-alcohol march
- Credit: Archant
Islamist firebrand Anjem Choudary used a march through Brick Lane today, which was hampered by opposition protests, to tell off-licence owners they must “fear Allah”.
Police had to separate demonstrators from Muslim group The Shariah Project from men thought to be from the EDL, delaying the demo at Osborn Street, and escorted the march through east London’s famous culinary quarter.
Turnout was low for the protest with only a handful of the group’s members attending.
The march was led by Mr Choudary, leader of the group al-Muhajiroun, who called on Muslims in east London to stop drinking or selling alcohol.
Using a mobile PA system he warned shopkeepers to “fear Allah”, while Abu Baraa, one of the organisers from Whitechapel, said Muslims who sell alcohol were “corrupting young people”.
You may also want to watch:
Female protesters wearing Islamic face veils held placards saying “fear Allah! Don’t drink or sell alcohol!” and “Islam is the perfect system for all mankind”.
Ahead of today’s demo, an East London Mosque official said the rally was a publicity stunt that would “antagonise local people and business owners”.
- 1 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 5 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 6 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 7 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 8 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 9 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 10 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
The march was organised by The Sharia Project, a group based in Waltham Forest with members in Whitechapel, to campaign against the drinking and sale of alcohol by Muslims in east London, which it says is sinful under Islamic law.