Video: ‘Fear Allah’, hate preacher Anjem Choudary tells shopkeepers at anti-alcohol march
- Credit: Archant
Islamist firebrand Anjem Choudary used a march through Brick Lane today, which was hampered by opposition protests, to tell off-licence owners they must “fear Allah”.
Police had to separate demonstrators from Muslim group The Shariah Project from men thought to be from the EDL, delaying the demo at Osborn Street, and escorted the march through east London’s famous culinary quarter.
Turnout was low for the protest with only a handful of the group’s members attending.
The march was led by Mr Choudary, leader of the group al-Muhajiroun, who called on Muslims in east London to stop drinking or selling alcohol.
Using a mobile PA system he warned shopkeepers to “fear Allah”, while Abu Baraa, one of the organisers from Whitechapel, said Muslims who sell alcohol were “corrupting young people”.
You may also want to watch:
Female protesters wearing Islamic face veils held placards saying “fear Allah! Don’t drink or sell alcohol!” and “Islam is the perfect system for all mankind”.
Ahead of today’s demo, an East London Mosque official said the rally was a publicity stunt that would “antagonise local people and business owners”.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning
The march was organised by The Sharia Project, a group based in Waltham Forest with members in Whitechapel, to campaign against the drinking and sale of alcohol by Muslims in east London, which it says is sinful under Islamic law.