Vintage wine worth �1m stolen from Bethnal Green warehouse
Vintage wine worth up to �1million has been stolen from a warehouse in Bethnal Green.
Police are appealing for information after the exquisite lot was nabbed from a storage facility under the railway arches in Cambridge Heath Road.
A worker discovered the break-in at 10am on Sunday but the burglars are believed to have struck any time from 12pm on Saturday.
The well-prepared crooks used a forklift to fill wooden pallets with about 400 cases of mostly vintage wine.
They broke through a padlock on the main gates of the premises, bent a shutter door to gain access to the warehouse and also disabled alarms and CCTV cameras.
You may also want to watch:
Police believe the crooks might try and sell the wine to private collectors or auction houses.
Investigating officer Det Con Ash Rossiter, said: “The stolen stock is rare and valuable. We would ask anyone with information or who is offered these goods for sale to contact us as soon as possible.”
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 5 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 6 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 7 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 8 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 9 Surplus DLR land released at Bow for new housing to tackle homes shortage
- 10 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
Some of the bottles were owned by private investors and one is offering a �5,000 reward for the return of a “substantial” part of the stolen stock.
It is thought the thieves used three vehicles for their get-away - two white transit-style vans and a lorry with a brown cab and blue sides.
The truck was parked in Nant Street and six white men were seen with the vehicles at about 1.15pm on Saturday.
A 40-year-old and 50-year-old man were today arrested on suspicion of burglary and taken to Bethnal Green police station where they remain in custody.
Information to 020 8217 7268 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.