Whitechapel family ‘threatened with machetes and knives’ by burglars demanding cash and gold
- Credit: Met Police
A family in Whitechapel was threatened with knives and machetes in their home by burglars demanding cash and gold, police said.
The suspects, reportedly a gang of up to eight males, made off with “a quantity of items” after breaking into the property in Sidney Street and grabbing the occupants, according to Met Police.
Scotland Yard said no arrests have been made despite forensic tests and analysis of CCTV footage.
Today officers released images of four males they wish to speak to in connection to the burglary, which took place shortly before 3.40am on Friday.
“This was a terrifying attack on a family asleep in their home,” said assistant Det Sgt Justin Franklin of Whitechapel CID.
You may also want to watch:
“The perpetrators were violent and need to be caught as soon as possible. If you have information, we need to hear from you.”
Scotland Yard said the victims were “very shaken” but did not need medical treatment.
- 1 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 2 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
- 3 Refugee fighting £2,850 claim in lettings agency dispute
- 4 Cyclist in critical condition after 'serious collision' in Bow
- 5 Shoppers queue for bread on opening weekend of new Wapping street market
- 6 Unmesh Desai: British Bangladeshi community is important part of the East End
- 7 Shops reopening after lockdown now fear council rent hikes
- 8 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 9 Community group founder calls for mandatory ethnic pay gap reporting
- 10 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
Anyone with information should call 101 quoting reference CAD859/27Jul18 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously 0800 555 111.