Whitechapel knife attack gang jailed
A GANG who stabbed a man over a road rage incident, and hit him with a crowbar, hammer and bottle, have been jailed for a total of almost 20 years this week.
The attackers rounded on the 30-year-old victim when he swore at a silver BMW that almost hit him as he left Tayyabs restaurant in Fieldgate Street, Whitechapel, around 9.30pm on Sunday, May 30.
Rashel Hussain and Taharak Hussain got out of the BMW and Jubhare Hussain got out of a Ford Focus and hit the victim repeatedly with a crowbar before trapping him in a doorway and stabbing him.
The gang, joined by Shah Alom and Shofiqul Islam, followed the victim as he tried to make his way to the Royal London hospital and hit him with a hammer and a glass bottle.
CCTV footage shows the victim desperately trying to get away from this group attack while horrified onlookers dialled 999.
You may also want to watch:
Tower Hamlets CID’s Det Con Darcia Babb said: “This was an outrageous and prolonged attack on a defenceless victim by a gang of thugs.
“Extreme violence of this nature is rare but when it does happen we will make sure those responsible are brought to justice.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 5 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 8 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 9 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
“The intervention of the two police officers, who were outnumbered and displayed great bravery, probably saved the man’s life.”
When cops arrived on the scene they wrestled with the attackers, arresting Rashel Hussain while the others fled.
The other members of the group were all arrested during over the course of the following two days in an investigation by Tower Hamlets CID.
Since the attack, the victim has lost 60 per cent of the use of his left hand and has been scarred with deep wounds to his neck, arm and upper thigh. He is currently undergoing therapy.
The attackers, who all pleaded guilty to their parts in the assault, were sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Monday.
Rashel Hussain, 20, of Fairclough Street, Whitechapel, pleaded guilty to grievous bodily harm and violent disorder and was sentenced to six years imprisonment.
Taharak Hussain, 21, of Parfett Street, Whitechapel, pleaded guilty to grievous bodily harm and was sentenced to seven years imprisonment.
His twin brother Jubhare Hussain pleaded guilty to violent disorder and was sentenced to two years imprisonment.
Shofiqul Islam, 21, of Wallwood Street, Poplar, pleaded guilty to violent disorder and was sentenced to two years imprisonment.
Shah Alom, 22, of Romford Street, Whitechapel, also pleaded guilty to violent disorder and was sentenced to 27 months imprisonment.