Witness appeal after passengers are attacked on Fenchurch St-Southend train
Detectives are appealing for witnesses after two passengers were badly injured in a “vicious and unprovoked” attack on a train between Fenchurch Street and Limehouse.
Transport police have released CCTV images today (Weds) of two men and a woman they want to identify and interview following the attack on the 9.50pm c2c service to Southend Central on July 1.
“This was a vicious and unprovoked assault which left two men seriously injured,” said Det Con Paul Cudby.
“The group were being disruptive when one of them opened a beer can which sprayed onto the men sitting opposite.
“One of the men asked the group to calm down—but was punched and kicked in the face, causing a broken cheek bone which has since needed hospital treatment.”
You may also want to watch:
The man’s friend tried to intervene—but was also attacked by two of the group who started punching him. He also had serious injuries, including swelling and bruising to his eye as well as a detached retina.
Detectives want to question the group, two men and a woman, who had a confrontation with station security guards at Fenchurch Street then got on the train which set off from platform 3.
- 1 Man found stabbed on board night bus
- 2 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 3 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 4 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
- 5 Witness appeal continues a month after youth stabbed in Shadwell
- 6 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 7 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 8 Trees planted to remember people who died of Covid in the East End
- 9 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 10 Rabina Khan: 'We need powers to hold housing associations accountable'
One attacker left the train at Limehouse, while the other two in the group moved to a different carriage.
The first man police want to speak to is in his mid-20s, about 6ft tall, skinny build with short dark hair. He was wearing at the time a blue T-shirt, grey tracksuit bottoms and sand-coloured steel toe-cap boots. Police believe he is from south London.
The second man was in his 40s, about 5ft 8ins tall, with short grey hair, stocky build, wearing a dark T-shirt with a large, distinctive logo.
The woman with them was around 5ft 4ins tall with distinctive, short bob-style hair dyed ‘reddish purple’, wearing a plain black dress. She may be from Thurrock in Essex.
BT Police are appealing to passengers who may have witnessed the confrontation with security guards at Fenchurch Street or anyone recognising the two men or the woman pictured in CCTV images to call 0800-405040, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800-555111.