Witness appeal after Ruhel Ahmed is found strangled in his Stepney flat
- Credit: Vickie Flores/Archant
Detectives holding a murder investigation have now identified the man found strangled at a block of flats in London’s East End.
The body found at Timor House on Stepney’s huge Ocean Estate has been identified as 36-year-old Ruhel Ahmed who lived in the flat.
A post-mortem examination at Poplar Mortuary on Saturday found cause of death to be compression to the neck.
Police who answered a 999 call to the flat at 7.15pm last Thursday, after his body was discovered, later arrested a man in hospital who was being treated for a hand injury.
The 29-year-old has been held in custody at an east London police station on “suspicion on murder” after being discharged from hospital, Scotland Yard confirmed.
You may also want to watch:
Detectives are not seeking anyone else in connection with the investigation, but continue looking into the circumstances of Ruhel Ahmed’s death.
A witness appeal has been issued by the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command for anyone with information to call the incident room on 020-8345 3862, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800-555111.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 2 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 3 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 4 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 5 New Providence Wharf fire: Two in hospital and 42 treated at scene
- 6 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 7 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 8 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 9 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 10 New Providence Wharf: The four-year fight to remove 'Grenfell cladding'