Witness appeal after Ruhel Ahmed is found strangled in his Stepney flat
- Credit: Vickie Flores/Archant
Detectives holding a murder investigation have now identified the man found strangled at a block of flats in London’s East End.
The body found at Timor House on Stepney’s huge Ocean Estate has been identified as 36-year-old Ruhel Ahmed who lived in the flat.
A post-mortem examination at Poplar Mortuary on Saturday found cause of death to be compression to the neck.
Police who answered a 999 call to the flat at 7.15pm last Thursday, after his body was discovered, later arrested a man in hospital who was being treated for a hand injury.
The 29-year-old has been held in custody at an east London police station on “suspicion on murder” after being discharged from hospital, Scotland Yard confirmed.
You may also want to watch:
Detectives are not seeking anyone else in connection with the investigation, but continue looking into the circumstances of Ruhel Ahmed’s death.
A witness appeal has been issued by the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command for anyone with information to call the incident room on 020-8345 3862, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800-555111.
- 1 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 4 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 5 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 6 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 7 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff
- 8 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
- 9 Tokyo 2020: Poplar children have their own 'Olympics'
- 10 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?