Witness appeal after Syed Islam is stabbed to death at Mile End
- Credit: MPS
Murder detectives are appealing for witnesses tonight following yesterday’s stabbing of 20-year-old Syed Jamanoor Islam at Bow Common in Mile End.
Syed was formally identified by police this-evening, while a post-mortem examination is due to take place in east London tomorrow.
Det Chief Insp Tony Lynes, from the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “We want to speak to anyone in the area at that time who might have seen what happened, or anyone information about the circumstances.”
Police were called at 4.45pm yesterday to Wager Street, off Bow Common Lane, where Syed was found dying after being stabbed in the street just yards from his home.
The former Tower Hamlets college student was rushed to the Royal London Hospital at Whitechapel, but died an hour later.
You may also want to watch:
Detectives believes he was with friends when he was set on by a group approaching him.
Officers later arrested an 18-year-old “on suspicion of murder” who was held in custody while the witnesses appeal was launched.
Detectives are urging witnesses to call the incident room 020-8721 4868, or anonymously Crimestoppers on 0800-555111 or Crimestoppers online.
- 1 Beer gardens reopening with face masks, sanitisers and cobblestones
- 2 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 3 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 4 Mother and son taken to hospital during "severe" fire in Bow
- 5 Hundreds of customers descend on reopened retailers
- 6 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
- 7 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 8 Here's why people stay longer in the East End despite the crime
- 9 East End pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 10 Housing protest at Shadwell's Watney Market over service charges hike