Witness appeal after Syed Islam is stabbed to death at Mile End
- Credit: MPS
Murder detectives are appealing for witnesses tonight following yesterday’s stabbing of 20-year-old Syed Jamanoor Islam at Bow Common in Mile End.
Syed was formally identified by police this-evening, while a post-mortem examination is due to take place in east London tomorrow.
Det Chief Insp Tony Lynes, from the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “We want to speak to anyone in the area at that time who might have seen what happened, or anyone information about the circumstances.”
Police were called at 4.45pm yesterday to Wager Street, off Bow Common Lane, where Syed was found dying after being stabbed in the street just yards from his home.
The former Tower Hamlets college student was rushed to the Royal London Hospital at Whitechapel, but died an hour later.
Detectives believes he was with friends when he was set on by a group approaching him.
Officers later arrested an 18-year-old “on suspicion of murder” who was held in custody while the witnesses appeal was launched.
Detectives are urging witnesses to call the incident room 020-8721 4868, or anonymously Crimestoppers on 0800-555111 or Crimestoppers online.
- 1 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 2 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 3 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 4 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 5 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 6 Councillor says he 'hopes to lose' next election
- 7 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 8 Patients with Covid in east London hospitals fall after rising for weeks
- 9 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 10 One per cent council tax rise planned with borough set for balanced budget