Witness appeal after Syed Islam is stabbed to death at Mile End
- Credit: MPS
Murder detectives are appealing for witnesses tonight following yesterday’s stabbing of 20-year-old Syed Jamanoor Islam at Bow Common in Mile End.
Syed was formally identified by police this-evening, while a post-mortem examination is due to take place in east London tomorrow.
Det Chief Insp Tony Lynes, from the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “We want to speak to anyone in the area at that time who might have seen what happened, or anyone information about the circumstances.”
Police were called at 4.45pm yesterday to Wager Street, off Bow Common Lane, where Syed was found dying after being stabbed in the street just yards from his home.
The former Tower Hamlets college student was rushed to the Royal London Hospital at Whitechapel, but died an hour later.
You may also want to watch:
Detectives believes he was with friends when he was set on by a group approaching him.
Officers later arrested an 18-year-old “on suspicion of murder” who was held in custody while the witnesses appeal was launched.
Detectives are urging witnesses to call the incident room 020-8721 4868, or anonymously Crimestoppers on 0800-555111 or Crimestoppers online.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 2 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 8 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests