WITNESS APPEAL: Five acid attacks by moped thieves in east London in two hours
- Credit: Archant
Police are appealing for witnesses and information after a spate of five acid attacks during street robberies across east London late last night—all thought to be connected.
A corrosive substance was thrown by two suspects on a moped in Haggerston in the first attack at around 10.30pm in Hackney Road.
A 32-year-old moped rider had face injuries when they pulled up alongside him at the traffic lights with Queensbridge Road and hurled the substance in his face.
One of the robbers riding pillion stole the man’s moped and the two thieves fled.
The injured man was taken to hospital, but was not being treated as a life threatening or life changing condition.
You may also want to watch:
Shortly after, a corrosive substance was thrown in the face of a man in another attack in Shoreditch High Street—just a mile away—by two men on a moped. The victim was also taken to hospital.
Another attack happened during a robbery in Cazenove Road in Clapton where a corrosive substance was hurled in a man’s face. He was also treated in hospital.
- 1 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 2 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 5 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 6 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 9 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 10 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
Yet another acid attack took place at 11.37pm nearby in Chatsworth Road in Homerton when thieves pulled up alongside a moped rider at traffic lights and sprayed liquid in his face before stealing his machine and escaping.
The victim managed to make his way home before contacting police, and was then taken to hospital.
An attack was reported earlier at Highbury in north London at about 10.50pm by two moped riders at Highbury Corner.
All five incidents are being treated by police as linked, Scotland Yard confirmed this-morning.
A teenager has since been arrested on suspicion of GBH and robbery and is being held in custody in east London.
Detectives from Hackney CID are appealing for any witnesses to last night’s spate of acid attacks or anyone with information to contact police on 101, tweet @MetCC, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.