WITNESS APPEAL: Five acid attacks by moped thieves in east London in two hours
- Credit: Archant
Police are appealing for witnesses and information after a spate of five acid attacks during street robberies across east London late last night—all thought to be connected.
A corrosive substance was thrown by two suspects on a moped in Haggerston in the first attack at around 10.30pm in Hackney Road.
A 32-year-old moped rider had face injuries when they pulled up alongside him at the traffic lights with Queensbridge Road and hurled the substance in his face.
One of the robbers riding pillion stole the man’s moped and the two thieves fled.
The injured man was taken to hospital, but was not being treated as a life threatening or life changing condition.
You may also want to watch:
Shortly after, a corrosive substance was thrown in the face of a man in another attack in Shoreditch High Street—just a mile away—by two men on a moped. The victim was also taken to hospital.
Another attack happened during a robbery in Cazenove Road in Clapton where a corrosive substance was hurled in a man’s face. He was also treated in hospital.
- 1 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 2 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 5 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 6 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 7 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 8 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 9 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
Yet another acid attack took place at 11.37pm nearby in Chatsworth Road in Homerton when thieves pulled up alongside a moped rider at traffic lights and sprayed liquid in his face before stealing his machine and escaping.
The victim managed to make his way home before contacting police, and was then taken to hospital.
An attack was reported earlier at Highbury in north London at about 10.50pm by two moped riders at Highbury Corner.
All five incidents are being treated by police as linked, Scotland Yard confirmed this-morning.
A teenager has since been arrested on suspicion of GBH and robbery and is being held in custody in east London.
Detectives from Hackney CID are appealing for any witnesses to last night’s spate of acid attacks or anyone with information to contact police on 101, tweet @MetCC, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.