WITNESS APPEAL: Five acid attacks by moped thieves in east London in two hours
- Credit: Archant
Police are appealing for witnesses and information after a spate of five acid attacks during street robberies across east London late last night—all thought to be connected.
A corrosive substance was thrown by two suspects on a moped in Haggerston in the first attack at around 10.30pm in Hackney Road.
A 32-year-old moped rider had face injuries when they pulled up alongside him at the traffic lights with Queensbridge Road and hurled the substance in his face.
One of the robbers riding pillion stole the man’s moped and the two thieves fled.
The injured man was taken to hospital, but was not being treated as a life threatening or life changing condition.
Shortly after, a corrosive substance was thrown in the face of a man in another attack in Shoreditch High Street—just a mile away—by two men on a moped. The victim was also taken to hospital.
Another attack happened during a robbery in Cazenove Road in Clapton where a corrosive substance was hurled in a man’s face. He was also treated in hospital.
- 1 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 2 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 3 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 4 Councillor says he 'hopes to lose' next election
- 5 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 6 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 7 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 8 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
- 9 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 10 Guilty: East London criminals jailed in December 2021
Yet another acid attack took place at 11.37pm nearby in Chatsworth Road in Homerton when thieves pulled up alongside a moped rider at traffic lights and sprayed liquid in his face before stealing his machine and escaping.
The victim managed to make his way home before contacting police, and was then taken to hospital.
An attack was reported earlier at Highbury in north London at about 10.50pm by two moped riders at Highbury Corner.
All five incidents are being treated by police as linked, Scotland Yard confirmed this-morning.
A teenager has since been arrested on suspicion of GBH and robbery and is being held in custody in east London.
Detectives from Hackney CID are appealing for any witnesses to last night’s spate of acid attacks or anyone with information to contact police on 101, tweet @MetCC, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.