Youth appears at Old Bailey charged with murder of care home pensioner
- Credit: Archant
A youth accused of strangling a pensioner to death and stabbing her in the neck in her care home flat appeared at the Old Bailey today.
The 17-year-old, who cannot be named, is alleged to have attacked Margery Gilbey, 89, at Sonali Gardens sheltered accommodation last Friday.
She was found dead in her first floor room in the block in Sutton Street, Shadwell, by a care assistant.
Mrs Gilbey had been strangled and stabbed in the neck and her room – which she had only lived in for 10 weeks - had been ransacked.
The 17-year-old, from Romford, appeared for a brief hearing, during which he spoke only to confirm his name.
You may also want to watch:
No application for bail was made and he was remanded in custody by Judge Richard Hone QC.
He will next appear at Stratford Youth Court on June 24.
- 1 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 3 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 4 John McDonnell is character witness for Poplar MP accused of housing fraud
- 5 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London
- 6 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 7 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 8 Driver demo blocks Uber's Whitechapel HQ in termination appeals dispute
- 9 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 10 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
The teenager has yet to enter a plea to a charge of murder.