Youth appears at Old Bailey charged with murder of care home pensioner
- Credit: Archant
A youth accused of strangling a pensioner to death and stabbing her in the neck in her care home flat appeared at the Old Bailey today.
The 17-year-old, who cannot be named, is alleged to have attacked Margery Gilbey, 89, at Sonali Gardens sheltered accommodation last Friday.
She was found dead in her first floor room in the block in Sutton Street, Shadwell, by a care assistant.
Mrs Gilbey had been strangled and stabbed in the neck and her room – which she had only lived in for 10 weeks - had been ransacked.
The 17-year-old, from Romford, appeared for a brief hearing, during which he spoke only to confirm his name.
You may also want to watch:
No application for bail was made and he was remanded in custody by Judge Richard Hone QC.
He will next appear at Stratford Youth Court on June 24.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
- 8 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 10 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
The teenager has yet to enter a plea to a charge of murder.