Youth appears at Old Bailey charged with murder of care home pensioner
- Credit: Archant
A youth accused of strangling a pensioner to death and stabbing her in the neck in her care home flat appeared at the Old Bailey today.
The 17-year-old, who cannot be named, is alleged to have attacked Margery Gilbey, 89, at Sonali Gardens sheltered accommodation last Friday.
She was found dead in her first floor room in the block in Sutton Street, Shadwell, by a care assistant.
Mrs Gilbey had been strangled and stabbed in the neck and her room – which she had only lived in for 10 weeks - had been ransacked.
The 17-year-old, from Romford, appeared for a brief hearing, during which he spoke only to confirm his name.
You may also want to watch:
No application for bail was made and he was remanded in custody by Judge Richard Hone QC.
He will next appear at Stratford Youth Court on June 24.
- 1 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 2 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 3 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 4 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 5 Brick Lane's famous bagel shop launches delivery service
- 6 Updated appeal for information about man last seen in Poplar in January
- 7 MPs pledge to fight on for 'forgotten victims' of IRA Canary Wharf bombing
- 8 Fire crews fight blaze at pub in Hackney Wick
- 9 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 10 Mother and son taken to hospital during "severe" fire in Bow
The teenager has yet to enter a plea to a charge of murder.