Youth appears at Old Bailey charged with murder of care home pensioner
- Credit: Archant
A youth accused of strangling a pensioner to death and stabbing her in the neck in her care home flat appeared at the Old Bailey today.
The 17-year-old, who cannot be named, is alleged to have attacked Margery Gilbey, 89, at Sonali Gardens sheltered accommodation last Friday.
She was found dead in her first floor room in the block in Sutton Street, Shadwell, by a care assistant.
Mrs Gilbey had been strangled and stabbed in the neck and her room – which she had only lived in for 10 weeks - had been ransacked.
The 17-year-old, from Romford, appeared for a brief hearing, during which he spoke only to confirm his name.
You may also want to watch:
No application for bail was made and he was remanded in custody by Judge Richard Hone QC.
He will next appear at Stratford Youth Court on June 24.
- 1 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 2 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff explains the reasoning for dropping Jamie Turley to the bench
- 3 Fire crews fight blaze at pub in Hackney Wick
- 4 Mother and son taken to hospital during "severe" fire in Bow
- 5 Former Bagel Factory turned into creative studios to rent out
- 6 Volunteers take food for Ramadan to neighbours on Isle of Dogs
- 7 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 8 It was a big opportunity missed for Leyton Orient says boss Jobi McAnuff
- 9 London elections 2021: City and East candidates make case for your vote
- 10 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
The teenager has yet to enter a plea to a charge of murder.