Youth appears at Old Bailey charged with murder of care home pensioner
- Credit: Archant
A youth accused of strangling a pensioner to death and stabbing her in the neck in her care home flat appeared at the Old Bailey today.
The 17-year-old, who cannot be named, is alleged to have attacked Margery Gilbey, 89, at Sonali Gardens sheltered accommodation last Friday.
She was found dead in her first floor room in the block in Sutton Street, Shadwell, by a care assistant.
Mrs Gilbey had been strangled and stabbed in the neck and her room – which she had only lived in for 10 weeks - had been ransacked.
The 17-year-old, from Romford, appeared for a brief hearing, during which he spoke only to confirm his name.
No application for bail was made and he was remanded in custody by Judge Richard Hone QC.
He will next appear at Stratford Youth Court on June 24.
- 1 Work begins on £300m Chrisp Street Market redevelopment
- 2 Council houses named after Matchgirls Strike leader
- 3 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 4 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 5 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 6 Plans to cut up to 600 Tube station jobs amid TfL 'funding crisis'
- 7 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 8 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 9 Traffic slow moving in Limehouse and Poplar due to burst water main
- 10 Single van racks up £36k of fines in Tower Hamlets
The teenager has yet to enter a plea to a charge of murder.