Youth arrested after policeman stabbed outside Victoria Park church
- Credit: Google Images
A 16-year-old youth is being questioned after a policeman was stabbed outside a church in London’s East End. The youth has been arrested “on suspicion of attempted murder”, Scotland Yard said.
The officer was stabbed during an incident late last night at the back of Bethnal Green’s Victoria Park Baptist Church in Grove Road.
He was taken to hospital with a knife wound in the stomach and is said to be in a “serious but stable” condition, the Met confirmed.
Two officers were called at 11.30pm to a car park next to Bunsen House, a five-storey block of flats in Bunsen Street, behind the church next to Victoria Park, after tenants reported “anti-social behaviour” including revving up a moped.
The officers recovered a knife and arrested the youth who was taken to a police station for questioning. He was detained overnight.
But there was not believed to be any link to extremism or terrorism, following security alerts after the weekend atrocities in Paris.
- 1 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 2 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 3 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 4 Councillor says he 'hopes to lose' next election
- 5 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 6 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 7 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 8 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
- 9 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 10 ‘Manhattanisation’ of Isle of Dogs concerns residents