Youth arrested after policeman stabbed outside Victoria Park church
- Credit: Google Images
A 16-year-old youth is being questioned after a policeman was stabbed outside a church in London’s East End. The youth has been arrested “on suspicion of attempted murder”, Scotland Yard said.
The officer was stabbed during an incident late last night at the back of Bethnal Green’s Victoria Park Baptist Church in Grove Road.
He was taken to hospital with a knife wound in the stomach and is said to be in a “serious but stable” condition, the Met confirmed.
Two officers were called at 11.30pm to a car park next to Bunsen House, a five-storey block of flats in Bunsen Street, behind the church next to Victoria Park, after tenants reported “anti-social behaviour” including revving up a moped.
The officers recovered a knife and arrested the youth who was taken to a police station for questioning. He was detained overnight.
You may also want to watch:
But there was not believed to be any link to extremism or terrorism, following security alerts after the weekend atrocities in Paris.
- 1 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 9 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 10 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims