Youth arrested after policeman stabbed outside Victoria Park church
- Credit: Google Images
A 16-year-old youth is being questioned after a policeman was stabbed outside a church in London’s East End. The youth has been arrested “on suspicion of attempted murder”, Scotland Yard said.
The officer was stabbed during an incident late last night at the back of Bethnal Green’s Victoria Park Baptist Church in Grove Road.
He was taken to hospital with a knife wound in the stomach and is said to be in a “serious but stable” condition, the Met confirmed.
Two officers were called at 11.30pm to a car park next to Bunsen House, a five-storey block of flats in Bunsen Street, behind the church next to Victoria Park, after tenants reported “anti-social behaviour” including revving up a moped.
The officers recovered a knife and arrested the youth who was taken to a police station for questioning. He was detained overnight.
You may also want to watch:
But there was not believed to be any link to extremism or terrorism, following security alerts after the weekend atrocities in Paris.
- 1 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 5 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 7 'That is what this club is about' as Mark Noble wants to find West Ham fan
- 8 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 9 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 10 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man