Crisis-hit Rich Mix to get �500k from Tower Hamlets council
THE troubled Rich Mix is to be given a �500,000 bail-out by the Town Hall following intense discussions last night. Bethnal Green s crisis-hit arts project was forced to go cap in hand once again to Tower Hamlets council to ask for a cash lifeline to sa
THE troubled Rich Mix is to be given a �500,000 bail-out by the Town Hall following intense discussions last night.
Bethnal Green's crisis-hit arts project was forced to go cap in hand once again to Tower Hamlets council to ask for a cash lifeline to save it from going under.
And last night the council's Strategic Development Committee approved officers' recommendation to hand over the cash to pay-off the centre's looming deficit and if they meet certain targets to give bosses additional instalments over the next year that would amount to more than �2m.
The bail-out comes despite the centre already receiving �3.9m of funding from the council since 2002 including a loan of �850,000 which has not yet been repaid.
You may also want to watch:
Officers said discussions over how the loan was to be repaid had been "on-going" for four years.
The council is planning to use section 106 money from the 25-storey block of flats being built opposite the centre on the corner of Bethnal Green Road and Sclater Street.
- 1 Jailed: Bethnal Green man who tried to buy hand grenade to use on police
- 2 Police bid to trace man in connection with Tube station sex assault
- 3 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 4 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 5 Leyton Orient agree new deal with defender Dan Happe
- 6 Travel: Roadworks at Shoreditch and Bishopsgate could slow traffic
- 7 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 8 Former Leyton Orient striker Lee Angol joins Bradford City
- 9 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 10 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences