Crossrail chiefs appear before London Assembly over costs
THE chairman and chief executive of Crossrail are being questioned in public at City Hall this-morning (Wed) about the costs the �16 billion project faces
THE chairman and chief executive of Crossrail are being questioned in public at City Hall this-morning (Wed) about the costs the �16 billion project faces.
Construction of London's 'super tube' east-west rail link began in May to add 10 per cent to London's rail network capacity, making it a key plank of the Mayor's Transport Strategy. It is also expected to create thousands of jobs and provide a massive boost to the economy.
But the future of one of the largest infrastructure projects ever undertaken in Britain faces financial uncertainty and pressures on public spending.
The London Assembly's transport committee wants to know the key milestones for the project and assess how any risks to finance are being anticipated and managed.
You may also want to watch:
The Committee will question Crossrail's chief executive Rob Holden, followed by chairman Terry Morgan, then City of London Transportation & Projects director Joe Weiss, as part of its ongoing scrutiny throughout the eight-year construction phase.
The committee meeting begins at 10am in the Chamber at City Hall in The Queen's Walk, near Tower Bridge, which can also be viewed on the London Assembly's webcast.
- 1 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 4 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 5 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 6 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 7 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 8 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 9 Campaigners oppose plans to change voting system for Tower Hamlets mayor
- 10 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival