Crossrail deal for new Whitechapel transport hub
THE contract to build Crossrail’s major interchange transport hub at Whitechapel in East London is being awarded to a multi-national advisory and design consultancy. Crossrail intends signing up Hyder Consulting for the contract, it has announced this week
THE contract to build Crossrail’s major interchange transport hub at Whitechapel in East London is being awarded to a multi-national advisory and design consultancy.
An artist’s impression (above) shows what the new Whitechapel station complex will look like when Crossrail opens in 2017.
Crossrail intends signing up Hyder Consulting for the contract, it has announced this week.
The deal includes both the station and the link into the tunnel at the Victoria Dock in Silvertown taking London’s super tube’ under the Thames to connect with North Kent rail services.
The awards comprise the design of a rail station at Whitechapel to provide connections to the London Underground District and Hammersmith & City lines and to the East London Line now being extend north from Whitechapel and south from New Cross as part of the orbital Overground’ network.
- 1 Man 'seriously injured' after e-scooter fall
- 2 Canary Wharf Underground station stabbing leaves man in hospital
- 3 Archie Battersbee dies: Hospital staff showed 'extraordinary compassion'
- 4 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 5 Teenager, 17, arrested after car crashes into Bow apartment building
- 6 'Ruthless' killer sentenced for Isle of Dogs murder
- 7 Investigation under way after fire and explosion at Shoreditch block
- 8 Young children in east London to be offered polio booster jabs
- 9 Man reportedly 'chased by moped rider with large knife' in Poplar
- 10 E-scooter rider named and man arrested over fatal Canary Wharf crash
Crossrail will link Heathrow directly with the West End and City, then onto Whitechapel where it splits south to Canary Wharf and North Kent and east to Stratford and Essex.