Cyclist in Aldgate collision dies after life support is switched off at Royal London Hospital
The life support has been switched off for a 21-year-old woman cyclist fatally injured on a busy road junction at Aldgate in the City of London.
Doctors at the Royal London in Whitechapel battled for a week to keep her alive. But nothing more could be done.
A formal inquest opens tomorrow at the City of London Coroner’s Court at the Mansion House.
It is the latest in a series of tragedies involving cyclists in east London and follows the death of a French woman in Whitechapel High Street, outside Aldgate High Street, earlier this year.
The London Assembly’s John Biggs, who has been campaigning for improved cycle facilities along the A11 Whitechapel Road, expressed sorrow today at the latest death on Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
“I have pushed the Mayor and TfL to review road layouts and the impact they have on cyclists,” he said.
“It is clear that spaces cyclists have to share with other traffic are not safe. I have asked TfL today to urgently review the circumstances of this latest tragedy and will be pressing the Mayor to bring forward the consultation on introducing the Safer Lorry Charge he announced earlier this month.”
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 3 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 4 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 5 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 6 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 7 Trees planted to remember people who died of Covid in the East End
- 8 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
- 9 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 10 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
Mr Biggs is pressing for all heavy goods vehicles to be fitted with extra side mirrors and safety bars.
The cyclist who died was in collision with tipper truck in St Botolph Street, on the busy A11 Aldgate one-way system, at 7.55am on September 15. She died at 8pm on Sunday.
City Police are investigating the collision, but no arrests have been made.