Cyclist manifesto on track for London super cycle highways
CYCLING enthusiasts have drawn up a wish list’ of things they want when London Mayor Boris Johnson launches his cycle superhighways’ for London. It includes priority over motorists, keeping paths free of parked cars and doing away with hazardous one-way systems and roundabouts
CYCLING enthusiasts have drawn up a 'wish list' of things they want when London Mayor Boris Johnson launches his 'cycle superhighways' for London.
An online 'cycle' manifesto has been drawn up by the London Cycling Campaign which includes priority over motorists, keeping paths free of parked cars, doing away with hazardous one-way systems and roundabouts, traffic-free sections and even preventing vehicles passing too close.
The campaign's Koy Thomson said: "We're concerned at a weakening of commitment on the proposed 'cycle superhighways.'
"The Mayor needs to step in and make clear that he's aiming for standards that'll be the envy of Europe."
Boris Johnson announced plans earlier in the year for 12 'cycle superhighways' from central London to the suburbs by the end of 2012.
You may also want to watch:
Two of the routes will be completed by next May, including Tower Gateway to Barking which will pass through Shadwell, Limehouse and Poplar in East London.
Tow more routes being drawn up through the East End are Aldgate to Ilford, passing through Whitechapel and Mile End, and Tower Bridge to Woolwich.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 4 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 10 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto