Cyclist who performed in Olympic opening ceremony dies after collision in Bethnal Green Road
A 31-year-old cyclist who died after being hit by a lorry in Bethnal Green Road has been identified at Sofoklis Kostoulas, a dancer and actor who performed in the Olympics opening ceremony.
Mr Kostoulas, of Bow, died in the Royal London Hospital on Tuesday, eight days after the collision.
Since coming to London from Greece 18 months ago, Mr Kostoulas had established himself in the English National Ballet.
The tragic accident happened when Mr Kostoulas was hit by a tipper truck as he was cycling to work at around 6:40am on October 29.
His funeral is due to take place in his native Greece.
You may also want to watch:
The 46-year-old driver of the lorry was arrested at the scene, and has since been bailed until February.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 4 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 5 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 6 'Grief and queer coming of age' theatre show to be put on for London Horror Festival
- 7 Go-ahead given for 315 more homes in third stage of Blackwall Reach scheme
- 8 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 9 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 10 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences