Cyclists urged to sign manifesto for Cycle Superhighways
By Else Kvist THE London Cycling Campaign has published a manifesto with ten demands for the Cycle Superhighways planned for London, including the East End. LCC is urging Boris Johnson and other cyclist
THE London Cycling Campaign has published a manifesto with ten demands for the Cycle Superhighways planned for London, including the East End.
LCC is urging Boris Johnson and other cyclists to sign their manifesto.
Earlier in the year the London Mayor announced plans for 12 Cycle Superhighways linking central London with outer boroughs by the end of 2012. Two of the routes will be completed by May 2010, including Tower Gateway to Barking. Other routes taking in the East End runs from Aldgate to Ilford and Tower Bridge to Woolwich.
LCC's chief executive, Koy Thomson said, "It's high-quality cycle routes not a wash of blue paint that'll attract occasional cyclists into regular cycle commuting. We're concerned at a weakening of commitment to such quality on the proposed Cycle Superhighways. The Mayor needs to step in and make clear that he's aiming for standards that'll be the envy of Europe."
You may also want to watch:
The manifesto demands include giving cyclists more space, priority over motor traffic, motor traffic free sections, stopping motor traffic from passing too close and too fast, keeping paths free of parked cars, and doing away with hazardous one-way systems and roundabouts. Cycle paths should also be continuous.
Supports will be able to sign the manifesto at www.lcc.org.uk from Monday or during the Mayor of London's Skyride this Sunday, when motor traffic is banished for the day to make way for cyclists on a route from Tower Hill to Buckingham Palace.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 8 Man, 19, charged after alleged sexual assaults in Tower Hamlets
- 9 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 10 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries