Cystic Fibrosis Docklands baby Billy, 10 months, has 5 operations
Billy Clark is only 10 months old—but has already been through five operations in his young life.
The tiny tot was born with bowel problems and was then diagnosed with the life-threatening Cystic Fibrosis.
Now his mum Angela is trying to raise money for research to help find a cure.
The 31-year-old from Tiller Road in Cubitt Town, Isle of Dogs, is taking part in the women’s only 5k race in Hyde Park for the Cystic Fibrosis Trust next month.
“I’ve never run anything like this before,” she said. “My friends suggested running to raise money for research—I didn’t hesitate and signed up straight away.”
You may also want to watch:
Cystic Fibrosis is one of Britain’s most common, life-threatening inherited diseases and claims two young lives every week. It is caused by a defective gene that results in lungs and digestive system becoming clogged with mucus, leading to chronic inflammation and difficulty absorbing food. There is no cure at present.
“I wanted to do whatever I could to help find a treatment,” Angela added. “One day they might find a cure.”
- 1 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 4 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 5 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 6 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 7 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 8 Campaigners oppose plans to change voting system for Tower Hamlets mayor
- 9 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
- 10 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
A clinical trial is due to start next year if �6 million can be found. Money raised will also help provide support and care for 9,000 babies, children and adult sufferers in Britain today.
Angela hopes to raise at least �500 from the sponsored run on September 11. She can be sponsored online at http://www.virginmoneygiving.com/team/btk