Dagnall double lifts Leyton Orient
- Credit: LAWRENCE LUSTIG
JP Trophy: Peterborough 2 Leyton Orient 3
Chris Dagnall’s double lifted Leyton Orient past League One rivals Peterborough at London Road last night.
Dagnall struck as early as the third minute to give the visitors a perfect start, breaking free to convert an early free-kick from Lloyd James.
Posh were back on level terms on 12 minutes when Marcus Maddison sent a left-footed shot into the bottom corner of the net for his first goal for the club.
But O’s made a bright start to the second half to regain the lead as James sent a ball over the top of the home defence for Dagnall, who latched onto it first time and drilled a clean strike into the middle of the Posh net.
You may also want to watch:
Dagnall turned provider for the third goal, driving into the box and laying the ball off for Bradley Pritchard to backheel past former O’s goalkeeper Ben Alnwick.
But Russell Slade’s men were reduced to 10 men when French midfielder Romain Vincelot was shown two yellow cards in the space of three minutes and given his marching orders.
- 1 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 2 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 3 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 4 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 7 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 8 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
Posh took control in the closing stages and forced Gary Woods into a series of fine saves until claiming a late consolation in the third minute of injury time through substitute Luke James, as the deadline-day signing scrambled the ball over the line.
But it came too late to deny Orient victory, which sends them into the international break on a high.
Peterborough: Alnwick, Brisley, Burgess, Smith, Ferdinand (Barnett 80), Payne (McCann 66), Anderson, Maddison, Newell, Washington, Vassell (James 61).
Orient: Woods, Cuthbert, Clarke, Lowry, Baudry, Pritchard, James (McAnuff 61), Bartley, Vincelot, Dagnall (Lee 87), Mooney. Unused subs: Legzdins, Henderson, Ling.
Referee: Dean Whitestone.