'Dangerous crossings' make councillor see red
A PETITION has been started urging London’s transport bosses to make pedestrian crossings in the East End safer. It has been launched by a Tower Hamlets councillor who has been out along Mile End’s busy Grove Road collecting signatures
A PETITION has been started urging London’s transport bosses to make pedestrian crossings in the East End safer.
It has been launched by Tower Hamlets councillor Josh Peck who has been out along Mile End’s busy Grove Road, seen (left) with Labour Parliamentary candidate Rashanara Ali collecting signatures from passers-by.
Cllr Peck is calling on Transport for London to make three zebra crossings safer by installing pelican lights controlled by pedestrians.
“People have been injured and killed on these crossings,” he said. “Yet still TfL hasn’t made the crossings any safer.”
He has been pressing City Hall for two years to get TfL to change the three crossings in Grove Road into button-operated Pelicans. He accuses the transport authority of dragging its feet, despite repeated accidents and one fatality.
- 1 Archie Battersbee case to be reconsidered in High Court
- 2 Bethnal Green officers sacked over 'abhorrent and discriminatory' messages
- 3 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 4 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 5 Former Tower Hamlets councillor publishes autobiography on life as a hijabi woman
- 6 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 7 1888 Match Girls’ Strike marked with blue plaque in east London
- 8 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 9 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 10 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
To make matters worse, he says work had started to change one of the three crossings and the flashing zebra lights and road markings had been taken away ready to be replaced.
But the work has now stopped because of delays getting the equipment which the councillor points out has left the busy road without a crossing.