Danny Boyle joins Bow foodbank and gives £20k to help families in crisis
- Credit: Jemima Hindmarch/Bow foodbank
Oscar-winning film director Danny Boyle has given a £20,000 personal gift to the Bow foodbank to help isolated families get through the pandemic crisis.
The man who created the opening extravaganza to the 2012 Olympics at Stratford has spent a day with volunteers at the foodbank delivering to 450 addresses.
Danny was so impressed that he wrote a cheque to help keep the foodbank going.
Jane Thomas, a volunteer working with him, said: "I volunteer at a foodbank because foodbanks should not have to exist."
The charity also helped set up Bethnal Green's foodbank at St Matthew's Church last year. It moved to the vacant Raine's Foundation School on February 17 after the school's forced closure.
You may also want to watch:
The foundation is planning a free school after losing a battle with Tower Hamlets Council in 2019 to keep the 300-year-old secondary open. The site meanwhile is being used as a foodbank for 18 months, serving 450 households a week.
- 1 Stepney Green hero volunteering seven days a week since pandemic began
- 2 Arrests as police step up drugs raids
- 3 World Book Day: Notorious football fan 'Mr West Ham' sets record straight
- 4 Why Tower Hamlets should be a 'royal' borough after Covid
- 5 Jailed: East End county lines dealers who peddled heroin and crack cocaine
- 6 'War of words' at Tower Hamlets cabinet meeting stops library closures
- 7 Hunt for three men after 90-year-old's Bethnal Green home is burgled
- 8 Leyton Orient manager Jobi McAnuff admits they were second best in every area
- 9 Leyton Orient suffer heavy defeat in Devon
- 10 How many Covid-19 vaccinations have been given where you live?