David Gest found dead in Canary Wharf hotel
- Credit: PA
Reality TV star David Gest, the former husband of Liza Minnelli, has been found dead in a Canary Wharf hotel aged 62.
The former Celebrity Big Brother star was married to Minnelli from 2002-2003, but they only officially divorced in 2007.
He was also known for being a close friend of the late Michael Jackson.
The TV personality gained a following in the United Kingdom recently when he appeared on Celebrity Big Brother.
Friend Imad Handi said: “It is with great sadness that I can confirm that David Gest has died today.
You may also want to watch:
“David was truly larger than life. He was not just a huge talent and a dear friend but a showbiz icon.
“I know he will be missed by millions of fans around the world, and particularly in Britain, who came to love his charm and blistering one-liners.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 8 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 10 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
“If I may steal the words of one eminent critic, David was a natural star and a genuine celebrity. I will miss him desperately.”
A Scotland Yard spokesman said: “Police were called at 10.17 on April 12 to the Four Seasons hotel, in Westferry Circus, E14, to reports of an unexplained death of a man in his 60s. London Ambulance Service were called to the scene. Life was pronounced extinct at the hotel.
“A post-mortem will be held in due course. Next of kin are in the process of being informed.”