David Mooney nets again as Leyton Orient make it back-to-back wins with 2-0 victory over Maidstone United

David Mooney wheels off to celebrate after scoring for Leyton Orient (pic: Simon O'Connor).

David Mooney wheels off to celebrate after scoring for Leyton Orient (pic: Simon O'Connor). - Credit: Archant

National League: Leyton Orient 2 Maidstone United 0

Leyton Orient made it back-to-back wins at Brisbane Road with a 2-0 victory over Maidstone United following a strong second half performance in the National League.

David Mooney netted the crucial opener after an hour and Rommy Boco added a second late on in E10.

It was another positive showing from Steve Davis’ men and adds to the buoyancy at Brisbane Road.

Continuity was the word of the day for Davis with the head coach sticking to his guns again and naming an unchanged starting XI for the third consecutive game.

You may also want to watch:

The five listed substitutes once again remained the same too, as Orient aimed to get another win at Brisbane Road.

Maidstone had former Southend United forward Joe Pigott leading the line while ex-East Thurrock United winger Tom Wraight was out wide.

Most Read

Joe Anderson, once of Hornchurch, also started for the Stones, but Jay Saunders was without key man Stuart Lewis after his red card against Ebbsfleet United on Tuesday.

Before kick-off, Orient paid tribute to some of the loyal backroom staff who were part of the club last season during the difficult tenure of Francesco Becchetti.

O’s supporters showed their appreciation and it helped generate an excellent atmosphere inside Brisbane Road.

The Maidstone following were also making plenty of noise, as they made the journey through the Dartford Tunnel for the match.

Davis’ team created the first chance of the game when Charlie Lee made a crunching tackle just outside the Stones goal.

Jobi McAnuff got on the ball and played in the overlapping Joe Widdowson with the full-back picking out Macauley Bonne, but he couldn’t get a clean connection and a decent opening had been wasted.

Seconds after that fourth-minute chance and Maidstone had the ball in the net through Delano Sam-Yorke.

The Stones attacker jumped into O’s goalkeeper Charlie Grainger and therefore the ball dropped over the line, but referee Adam Bromley correctly ruled it out for a foul.

After a fairly frantic start, the pace of the match slowly down with Orient dictating possession, but Maidstone defending strongly.

Orient had the first official shot of the match in the 17th minute when Bonne intercepted a pass and ran at the away back four.

The former Colchester United forward got his effort all wrong, however, and scuffed well wide of goal.

Maidstone showed their intent soon after when Pigott controlled just inside the area and saw a low shot impressively saved by Grainger.

Wraight blazed the follow up effort over and it was a let off for Orient, although a boost for their inexperienced goalkeeper.

O’s soon started to get on top following that brief moment of panic and began to knock the ball around with a degree of swagger.

The final pass was often lacking, though, and with half an hour gone at Brisbane Road, we were still waiting for the opener.

Dayton was doing his best to get into the game by coming off the right flank and tried his luck in the 33rd minute.

The winger received the ball in the centre of the pitch and let fly from 25-yards, but his effort hit Mooney and went wide.

Orient continued to enjoy the vast amount of possession, but the Kent club were doing their best to break up play with professional fouls.

Two minutes before half time O’s finally tested Lee Worgan and it was route one football which created the chance.

A long kick by Grainger was flicked on by Mooney and McAnuff worked half a yard of space and saw a shot saved by the Stones goalkeeper.

It wasn’t a sign of things to come, however, with Orient ending the first half on the back foot, as it remaining goalless at the break.

Davis would have been happy with some aspects of the opening 45, although aware of the need for O’s to take it up a notch after the interval.

Orient started the second half brightly with Jake Caprice putting a dangerous ball into the area, but neither Bonne nor Mooney were able to force an effort on goal.

The O’s then won two corners in quick succession, though they were unable to serious test Worgan from either.

A mistake by Alex Wynter allowed Bonne to get beyond the Maidstone back four in the 52nd minute, but the forward scuffed his shot wide of goal, as another chance was wasted.

With an hour gone the Stones created one of their best opening of the game after smart play on the right.

Sam-Yorke and Seth Nana Twumasi combined on the right and the latter crossed in for the unmarked Wriaght, but he headed over.

It was a good chance for Maidstone to take the lead and less than 60 seconds later they were punished.

Caprice and Dayton caused havoc down the right and the winger cut inside and produced a telling inswinging cross, which Mooney headed into the corner.

Brisbane Road erupted as the O’s faithful serenaded their number 10 for making the breakthrough with an hour played.

Mooney received a blow to the face moments later, although was able to resume play after some treatment.

With Orient now in front, Maidstone were going to have to commit to pushing more people forward in search of an equaliser.

Stones boss Saunders made a change with 14 minutes remaining, as Harley Willard replaced Reece Prestedge.

Two minutes after the substitution and O’s should have made it 2-0 after more wonderful play on the right.

Dayton waited for Caprice’s overlap and found the right-back, but Bonne could only touch the low cross wide of goal.

Orient head coach Davis made his first move of the match soon after as Josh Koroma and Craig Clay replaced McAnuff and Mooney with 11 minutes left.

The youngster almost had an immediate impact, as he cut inside and curled just past the post within seconds of his introduction.

Dayton was the next man to make way with Boco replacing him with four minutes remaining at Brisbane Road.

A nervous air was present in E10 with Maidstone pushing for an equaliser and O’s had a let off in the 87th minute.

Orient failed to clear a free kick and Josh Hare’s centre was sliced by Elokobi with Sam-Yorke waiting to pounce.

If that was a worrying moment for Davis and co then two minutes later was even worst for the home management.

Clay missed his kick when trying to clear a cross and Pigott turned well and fired towards the bottom corner.

Grainger got down magnificently to save well and even though Sam-Yorke lashed in the loose ball, the offside flag ruled it out.

A huge sigh of relief was exhaled in east London and seconds after five minutes of additional time were added on the home fans were celebrating.

Lee headed the initial ball forward and then won the second before running at the Maidstone back four.

With Boco free to his right, O’s first-team captained played the winger in and he fired into the corner to make it 2-0.

Boco pointed towards Lee during the celebrations and he was right to do so with the former Stevenage man doing magnificently for the goal.

Orient were able to play out the final few minutes to ensure Rocking all over the World was played out after the final whistle.

It was another win for Davis’ team and importantly a clean sheet with Grainger doing his part.

Next up for O’s is an away match at Bromley on another 3G surface, but they will travel with confidence.

Leyton Orient: Grainger; Caprice, Coulson, Elokobi, Widdowson; Dayton (Boco 86), Lee, Lawless, McAnuff (Koroma 79); Mooney (Clay 79), Bonne.

Unused substitutes: Sargeant, Clark.

Maidstone United: Worgan; Nana Twumasi, Hare, Wynter, Anderson; Paxman, Prestedge (Willard 74), Reason; Sam-Yorke, Pigott, Wraight (Richards 80).

Unused substitutes: Taylor, Okuonghae, Phipps.

Attendance: 5,085 (595 Maidstone United supporters).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus