Daylight robbery bid caught on camera in Poplar as scooter thug makes getaway on A13
- Credit: MPS
Incredible footage from a CCTV camera of a street robbery attempt taking place in London’s East End in which the victim is kicked to the ground has been released this-morning by Scotland Yard.
The camera catches the robbery in progress as a thug in a crash-helmet attacks his victim on the pavement in broad daylight on the main East India Dock Road in Poplar.
The thug drags him to the ground outside a shop, kicks him several times while he’s down, then makes his escape with an accomplice on a motor-scooter, in front of a double-decker bus full of passengers in heavy traffic.
Now detectives want to trace the attacker and the scooter rider who drove off along the A13.
They are appealing for witnesses to the attack at 1.45pm on December 23.
You may also want to watch:
The victim, a 20-year-old architectural student, was taking photographs when the scooter pillion passenger leapt off, jumped over railings and tried to grab the camera.
But the plucky student refused to let go and was pulled down in the tussle and kicked repeatedly.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 4 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 7 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 10 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
A passer-by is seen coming to the student’s aid when the thug runs off into the road to join his accomplice.
The victim was taken to the Royal London Hospital and given dental treatment, but later discharged.
The attacker was wearing dark motorcycle gear and a black crash-helmet. The scooter-rider was wearing a red jacket, dark trousers and a black helmet.
Police want witnesses who were in East India Dock Road two days before Christmas, at around 1.45pm, or anyone who recognises the suspects, to contact Tower Hamlets CID on 101 (quoting reference 198758 and 198759), or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800-555111.