Derek’s giant fish gets its chips down Roman Road market
FISHMONGER Derek Downey had to get his skates on to slice up this whopper of a catch for his customers. He put this giant skate measuring 5ft by 5ft and weighing 150lbs on sale at his fish stall in London’s East End
By Linda Lewis
FISHMONGER Derek Downey had to get his skates on to slice up this whopper of a catch for his customers today.
He put this giant skate measuring 5ft by 5ft and weighing 150lbs on sale at his fish stall in London’s East End, freshly caught off the Scottish Isle of Mull.
He picked it up, or at least four helpers picked it up, from Billingsgate fish market in East London.
“I just had to have it, even though it was so big,” he admitted.
“I knew it would hardly fit on my stall and we had trouble getting it into the van.”
- 1 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 2 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
- 3 Man arrested over two separate rape allegations - one previously unknown to police
- 4 Come Dine With Me calls on east London restaurants for new show
- 5 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 6 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 7 Guilty: East London criminals jailed in December 2021
- 8 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network
- 9 ‘Manhattanisation’ of Isle of Dogs concerns residents
- 10 Reports of man 'carrying metal pole' in Isle of Dogs
Derek needed four helpers just to hoist the giant skate out of his van and onto his stall at Bethnal Green’s Globe Town market in Roman Road.
At least he won’t be trawling for customers. Shoppers were queuing up to catch a glimpse of the monster before it was chopped up ready for sale.
Derek managed to cut 40 portions out of it, selling like hotcakes at �5 a time.
He added: “It wasn’t quite the feeding of the 5,000, but it was still a show-stopper.”
As for the chips, Derek left that to his customers.