Derek’s giant fish gets its chips down Roman Road market
FISHMONGER Derek Downey had to get his skates on to slice up this whopper of a catch for his customers. He put this giant skate measuring 5ft by 5ft and weighing 150lbs on sale at his fish stall in London’s East End
By Linda Lewis
FISHMONGER Derek Downey had to get his skates on to slice up this whopper of a catch for his customers today.
He put this giant skate measuring 5ft by 5ft and weighing 150lbs on sale at his fish stall in London’s East End, freshly caught off the Scottish Isle of Mull.
He picked it up, or at least four helpers picked it up, from Billingsgate fish market in East London.
You may also want to watch:
“I just had to have it, even though it was so big,” he admitted.
“I knew it would hardly fit on my stall and we had trouble getting it into the van.”
- 1 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 2 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 5 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 6 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 9 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 10 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
Derek needed four helpers just to hoist the giant skate out of his van and onto his stall at Bethnal Green’s Globe Town market in Roman Road.
At least he won’t be trawling for customers. Shoppers were queuing up to catch a glimpse of the monster before it was chopped up ready for sale.
Derek managed to cut 40 portions out of it, selling like hotcakes at �5 a time.
He added: “It wasn’t quite the feeding of the 5,000, but it was still a show-stopper.”
As for the chips, Derek left that to his customers.