Designers for Olympic Park shortlisted
A shortlist of teams tasked with producing designs for the Olympic Park, London’s newest public space, were announced today.
Five teams have been chosen to design the north of the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and five for the south park.
The competition, run by the Olympic Park Legacy Company, will later go on to a second stage with winners announced later this year.
More than 100 teams from across Europe, Asia and North America expressed interest in creating two distinctive areas which will bring together a vibrant mix of cultural events,
The centrepiece will be a major public space welcoming crowds to the south park. Sitting between the Aquatics Centre, the Stadium, the ArcelorMittal Orbit and the 2012 Gardens, the urban landscape will have a South Bank feel with plans for a visitor centre, water features, imaginative play facilities, and will host a range of diverse festivals and performances.
You may also want to watch:
The second area, set within the green river valley in the north park, is expected to include one of London’s most inspiring playgrounds and a visitor centre with a caf� and seating terrace, along with indoor multi-purpose space for community-use.
Design Chief at the Olympic Park Legacy Company, Kathryn Firth, said: “The design competition has attracted worldwide interest from award winning practices wanting to create a lasting and influential design in one of the world’s great cities.
- 1 Leyton Orient linked with Omar Beckles, Connor Wood and Paul Smyth
- 2 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 3 Drivers fight Tower Hamlets for years over 'clamping on private land'
- 4 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 5 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 6 'Earn while you learn' new degree course for students from any background
- 7 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 8 Driver threatened at gunpoint in Bromley-by-Bow carjacking
- 9 Crossharbour scheme for 2,000 new homes on Isle of Dogs is halted
- 10 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
“We have a dynamic mix of international and home grown talent that we expect to come forward with cutting edge designs.”
The shortlisted companies for the South Park are Agence Ter of Paris, Gustafson Porter of London, James Corner Field Operations of London, Ken Smith Landscape Architect, California, and West 8 of Holland.
The shortlisted companies for the North Park are Cottrell and Vermeulen Architecture of London, David Kohn Architects, of London, Erect architecture of London, The Landscape Partnership of London, and Ushida Findlay architects, of London,
The teams will later be shortlised again to submit a concept design in November