Different schools for Muslims will only stop pupils integrating
Dear Ed, I WAS annoyed by Iftikhar Ahmad’s letter calling for separate Muslim schools in East London (Advertiser Letters, February 5). Having different schools for Muslim pupils will only stop integration
I WAS annoyed by Iftikhar Ahmad’s letter calling for separate Muslim schools in East London (Advertiser Letters, February 5).
Having different schools for Muslim pupils will only stop integration. These pupils can have separate lessons if need be in an ordinary (integrated) school with Muslim teachers for their religious beliefs.
As for “racism,” it is that attitude that is causing racism. How racist is it saying “there is no place for a non-Muslim child or teacher in a Muslim school”? Schools in Britain are bending over backwards to help Muslim pupils keep up with their religious beliefs.
I have worked on the Locksley Estate in Limehouse helping youth for nearly 15 years trying to integrate the communities. I don’t see people as ethnic’ or white’—just human.
I would quite happily take Iftikhar Ahmad on a tour of my estate to show how Muslim and white people integrate without racism.
- 1 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 2 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 V&A launches festival to celebrate 150 years in Bethnal Green
- 4 Council rapped by ombudsman after not following safeguarding procedures
- 5 Series of failures sees Met Police placed under special measures
- 6 Firefighter retires after cancer diagnosis
- 7 Old Bailey courts closed as barrister strike action gets under way
- 8 Footballer convicted of hate crime after homophobic abuse of opponent
- 9 Man accused of Yasmin Begum killing denies murder and burglary
- 10 Bow Lock murder: Victim's two girlfriends give evidence at Old Bailey
V Lashmar (Mrs)