Diners flee as non-smoking caf� bursts into flame
DINERS had to go without their breakfast this-morning when fire broke out in their caf� in East London. Smoke billowed from an electric meter which then burst into flames at Elbows caf� in Victoria Park Village in South Hackney
By Hannah Roberts
DINERS had to go without their breakfast this-morning when fire broke out in their caf� in East London.
Smoke billowed from an electric meter which then burst into flames at Elbows caf� in Victoria Park Village in South Hackney.
The fire had been smouldering in the wiring behind the walls for hours before caf� staff noticed smoke at about 10.30am. It then burst into flames.
You may also want to watch:
The staff tried dousing the fire with an extinguisher, but it was inaccessible behind the walls and under the floorboards.
Flames swept up the cavity behind the walls to the flat above.
- 1 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 2 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 3 Dog festival gets go-ahead for Isle of Dogs, of all places
- 4 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 5 Trains being tested on Crossrail's Elizabeth line up to four an hour
- 6 Pedestrian struck by motorcycle in critical condition following Stepney collision
- 7 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
- 8 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 9 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 10 Battle lost to save historic Whitechapel bell foundry
Emergency fire crews from Bethnal Green and Homerton arriving at the caf� had to break into flat.
“We had to chop the floors to bits to get to the wiring,” said fire brigade watch manager Mark Peasey.
“It was lucky it broke out in the day, or they would have lost the caf�. The people living in the flats might have also been trapped.”
The caf� was out of action for most of the day—with disappointed diners going hungry.