Diners flee Docklands tower block restaurant fire
FLAT-dwellers were evacuated from a Docklands tower block last night when fire broke out in a restaurant packed with diners . They were led to safety from the 22-storey South Quay Plaza near Canary Wharf
FLAT-dwellers were evacuated from a Docklands tower block last night when fire broke out in a restaurant.
They were led to safety by emergency fire-crews after smoke began seeping from the kitchen of the restaurant packed with diners on the ground floor of the 22-storey South Quay Plaza near Canary Wharf.
Firefighters had to remove panels from a cavity wall to reach the source of the outbreak. The diners and restaurant staff were also evacuated.
No-one was injured and there was no structural damage. The families were allowed back after two hours.
You may also want to watch:
Fire investigators were later looking into possible causes after heat from the back of the ovens are thought to have set the cavity panels alight.
- 1 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 2 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 3 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 4 Street food and farmers' market return to City Island
- 5 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 6 Hundreds of boilers break down in the East End during pandemic
- 7 Fast broadband deal is signed for thousands of East End homes
- 8 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 9 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 10 England captain Harry Kane renews his shirt sponsorship with Leyton Orient