Diners flee Docklands tower block restaurant fire
FLAT-dwellers were evacuated from a Docklands tower block last night when fire broke out in a restaurant packed with diners . They were led to safety from the 22-storey South Quay Plaza near Canary Wharf
FLAT-dwellers were evacuated from a Docklands tower block last night when fire broke out in a restaurant.
They were led to safety by emergency fire-crews after smoke began seeping from the kitchen of the restaurant packed with diners on the ground floor of the 22-storey South Quay Plaza near Canary Wharf.
Firefighters had to remove panels from a cavity wall to reach the source of the outbreak. The diners and restaurant staff were also evacuated.
No-one was injured and there was no structural damage. The families were allowed back after two hours.
You may also want to watch:
Fire investigators were later looking into possible causes after heat from the back of the ovens are thought to have set the cavity panels alight.
- 1 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 2 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 5 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 6 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 9 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 10 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report