Director Danny Boyle and artists back Tower Hamlets HIV charity with World Aids Day events
A Tower Hamlets HIV charity has got star-backing from the arts world including film director Danny Boyle for a series of events to mark World Aids Day.
Positive East, which has its main office in Mile End Road, is putting on its fundraising programme to coincide with the global event on Thursday.
On Thursday evening they are launching an eye-catching art show called The Optimist at the East Gallery in Brick Lane.
It features works in mediums from graffiti to sculpture designed by 30 international artists to raise awareness of how people live with HIV.
Artists from MAC Cosmetics will be reproducing three pieces of art as body paint on live models during the opening night reception.
You may also want to watch:
And on Sunday, Mile End resident Boyle adds his support by screening his film Millions at Stratford Picturehouse.
He will also take part in a question-and-answer session with BBC radio DJ Simon Mayo.
- 1 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 2 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 3 Leyton Orient linked with Omar Beckles, Connor Wood and Paul Smyth
- 4 Drivers fight Tower Hamlets for years over 'clamping on private land'
- 5 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 6 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 7 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 8 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 9 Search is on for next Tower Hamlets Freedom of the Borough award recipient
- 10 Leyton Orient sign left-back Connor Wood from Bradford City
Charity director Mark Santos said: “As well as helping us to address some of the stigma around HIV, it’s also a message to our clients and people who are HIV positive that we value you, you’re part of our community too.”
Artists exhibiting in the show which runs until next Tuesday include Zoobs, Copyright and Bruce Denny. Limited editions of the pieces will be on sale to support the charity, which provides testing and support services in Tower Hamlets and throughout east London.
The gallery opening times are from midday to 7pm and for more details on visiting call David Garrard on 0207 791 9384.
Tickets for the Millions screening are available at www.positiveeast.org.uk.