DLR workers get engaged on platform at Canary Wharf station
It was all aboard the love train this morning when two DLR workers got engaged.
Passenger service agent Allen Bennett got down on one knee to propose to Wanja Van Den Berg at the end of their shifts at Canary Wharf DLR station.
Wanja, who also works as a passenger service agent, had no idea what was awaiting her when her train pulled in to platform six at 10.55am.
She was greeted by signs on the passenger information display which said: “Wanja will you marry me?”
Holding a long stemmed white rose and a sparkling engagement ring, Allen then got down on one knee to pop the question. His ecstatic fiancee, who deemed herself speechless after the event, of course said yes.
You may also want to watch:
Wanja, 26, said afterwards: “I thought it was just another day at work, then I saw my manager come on to the platform and I thought maybe I was in trouble, since that never happens.
“Then other people were popping up on the platform and telling me to look at the screen, then Allen came out.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
“I was crying my eyes out. It was a perfect proposal.”
Passengers at the station started taking their own photos of the couple, who happily posed under the display signs.
<a href="http://www.coveritlive.com/mobile.php/option=com_mobile/task=viewaltcast/altcast_code=8069bd29ba" >London Week In Review</a>