Docklands’ ExCeL venue gets ready for Olympics with test events
The latest series of Olympic test events were held in London ExCeL in the Docklands last week with promising signs for British competitors.
The exhibition centre next to the Royal Victoria Dock will host the second largest number of sports after Stratford’s Olympic Park during the 2012 Games.
There will be six Olympic sports taking place there and seven during the Paralympics.
To make sure all is running smoothly come competition time, test events in boxing, table tennis and fencing were held between Thursday and Sunday.
Women’s boxing will be included in the Olympic programme for the first time next summer and two Brits, Natasha Jonas and Savannah Marshall, got in on the act early by winning golds in the lightweight and middleweight divisions respectively.
You may also want to watch:
In total, Great Britain won five gold medals and one bronze in the ring.
And British fencers also came out on top, winning the men’s team foil gold by defeating Russia 45-34.
- 1 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 2 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 3 Docklands man pleaded guilty to firearms offences
- 4 Crossharbour scheme for 2,000 new homes on Isle of Dogs is halted
- 5 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 6 Working classes 'being pushed out by East End's gentrification'
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Driver threatened at gunpoint in Bromley-by-Bow carjacking
- 9 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 10 Police search park in Poplar after report of stabbing
Further test events in judo and taekwondo will be held on Saturday and Sunday before wrestling and weightlifting competitions are held on December 10 and 11.
You can view our online gallery of images from the test events by clicking on the link above-right.