Does anyone remember Harry Aplin, my dad?
Dear Ed, I AM trying to trace anyone in East London in the 1940s and 50s who knew a Harry Aplin who lived in Stepney around 1947 and was a musician at the Hackney Empire. This is my last hope as I have exhausted every channel over the years in my search for my father
I AM trying to trace anyone in East London in the 1940s and 50s who knew a Harry Aplin who lived in Stepney around 1947 and was a musician at the Hackney Empire.
His address was in Oley Place, Stepney Green, until 1965, according to the electoral registers in Bancroft Library.
What happened to Harry after that I don’t know. I would be grateful if anyone could tell me anything about my father or his life, no matter how small, such as religion, nationality—absolutely anything.
You may also want to watch:
I am adopted and was told by my natural mother when I traced her before she died that Harry played violin at the Hackney Empire in the 1940s.
I have tried for years to trace him and about 20 years ago found his address and went to what was Oley Place in Stepney—but sadly there was only a patch of grass as the houses were no longer there.
- 1 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 2 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
- 3 MP's fury at four-year delay removing Grenfell-type cladding from block
- 4 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 5 Leyton Orient have announced their retained list as they begin rebuild
- 6 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 7 'Halt to development draining services' after win for neighbourhood plan
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 10 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election
I am 61 years old now and that part of my life is a mystery. It would be wonderful if I had some information that I could pass on to my children about their family tree.
I don’t know his birth date, which has meant fruitless searches on websites. This is my last hope as I have exhausted every channel I can think of over the years.
Cleo Lear (formerly Valarie Gower)