Domino’s Pizza’s plans for store near Brick Lane thrown out
Pizza chain Domino’s plans for a new restaurant close to Brick Lane have been thrown out after complaints of it being “totally inappropriate” for the area.
The fast food store had applied to convert a shop on 261 Bethnal Green Road – just around the corner from the largely independently-run curry district.
Tower Hamlets Council’s planning department said the store would not fit in with its healthy lifestyles agenda and also considered the noise impact on those living nearby.
Chris Smith, a local election candidate for the Greens who led the complaints from residents opposed to the plans,
said: “We’ve got an excess of these fast food takeaways we don’t need any more.
You may also want to watch:
“The area is full of independently-owned stores and this would have been a totally inappropriate development.”
Domino’s had also applied for use of the back of the store for eight delivery mopeds.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 9 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
But noise and disturbance from the mopeds – which would infringe on residential parking areas - also caused concern, Mr Smith added.
The store would “detract from the character and appearance of the conservation area”, the council report said.
A spokesperson for Domino’s Pizza said: “We are very disappointed with the decision and are currently reviewing our position before deciding on the next course of action.”