Drag act put on in Poplar to help raise money for minibus for elderly
A community group which helps elderly and vulnerable people get out and about is putting on a drag act this weekend to raise money to replace their stolen minibus.
Neighbours in Poplar had their minibus used weekly for ferrying about 200 people around for days out, shopping, weekly clubs and events stolen in 2009.
Since then the group has had to make do with a second-hand bus, bought with the insurance money. But unlike the stolen bus it does not have a tail lift for wheelchair access.
Their founder Sister Christine said: “It means we have not been able to take people who are wheelchair bound and otherwise not able to leave their homes.
“Thanks to kind donations from the community we are only �8,000 away for raising the �36,000 we need.”
You may also want to watch:
The drag act, Sally Starshine, planned for the fund raising event this Saturday evening “should be fun,” she added.
Others acts at the event starting at 6.30pm at St. Matthias Community Centre on Poplar High Street is Jamaican singer and dancing act Lady Lively.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 4 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 7 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 8 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 9 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 10 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
Tickets are �10.00 for adults and �5 for children. To pre-book call 078256987.