Drag act put on in Poplar to help raise money for minibus for elderly
A community group which helps elderly and vulnerable people get out and about is putting on a drag act this weekend to raise money to replace their stolen minibus.
Neighbours in Poplar had their minibus used weekly for ferrying about 200 people around for days out, shopping, weekly clubs and events stolen in 2009.
Since then the group has had to make do with a second-hand bus, bought with the insurance money. But unlike the stolen bus it does not have a tail lift for wheelchair access.
Their founder Sister Christine said: “It means we have not been able to take people who are wheelchair bound and otherwise not able to leave their homes.
“Thanks to kind donations from the community we are only �8,000 away for raising the �36,000 we need.”
The drag act, Sally Starshine, planned for the fund raising event this Saturday evening “should be fun,” she added.
Others acts at the event starting at 6.30pm at St. Matthias Community Centre on Poplar High Street is Jamaican singer and dancing act Lady Lively.
- 1 Single van racks up £36k of fines in Tower Hamlets
- 2 Delayed Canary Wharf 'portacabin' hotel hopes to open in 2022
- 3 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 4 Free vegan food at Spitalfields Market
- 5 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 6 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi
- 7 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 8 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 9 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 10 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
Tickets are �10.00 for adults and �5 for children. To pre-book call 078256987.