Drag queens potest against animal fur in Brick Lane
AROUND 30 real and pretend drag queens took to Brick Lane in protest at shops selling animal fur on the East End s famous thoroughfare. Donning wigs and glam clothes the protesters shouted slogans such as, Ditch fur, do drag! and Fur trade—death trade
AROUND 30 real and pretend drag queens took to Brick Lane in protest at shops selling animal fur on the East End's famous thoroughfare.
Donning wigs and glam clothes the protesters shouted slogans such as, "Ditch fur, do drag!" and "Fur trade-death trade!" as they marched down the lane in Spitalfields Sunday afternoon.
Wasp Howl, 30, from Bethnal Green, who dressed up as a drag queen for the day, said: "We are worried about the amount of new and vintage fur being sold by some shops in Brick Lane.
"Vintage scarves and hats often have real fur linings which are being sold as fake fur. Often the fur comes from rabbits, but also from cats and dogs, mainly from China."
You may also want to watch:
The protesters also played 80s and 90s pop music from a DVD blaster.
"With it being the trendy and vibrant place it is we thought it would go down well to dress in drag, which it did, Wasp said.
- 1 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 2 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 3 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 4 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 5 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 6 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 7 Photography celebrating Roman Road displayed in high street windows
- 8 Police renew appeal over disappearance of man last seen in Poplar
- 9 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 10 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
The protesters also said they distributed about 500 leaflets about the process animal go through before ending up as fur.