Drag queens potest against animal fur in Brick Lane
AROUND 30 real and pretend drag queens took to Brick Lane in protest at shops selling animal fur on the East End s famous thoroughfare. Donning wigs and glam clothes the protesters shouted slogans such as, Ditch fur, do drag! and Fur trade—death trade
AROUND 30 real and pretend drag queens took to Brick Lane in protest at shops selling animal fur on the East End's famous thoroughfare.
Donning wigs and glam clothes the protesters shouted slogans such as, "Ditch fur, do drag!" and "Fur trade-death trade!" as they marched down the lane in Spitalfields Sunday afternoon.
Wasp Howl, 30, from Bethnal Green, who dressed up as a drag queen for the day, said: "We are worried about the amount of new and vintage fur being sold by some shops in Brick Lane.
"Vintage scarves and hats often have real fur linings which are being sold as fake fur. Often the fur comes from rabbits, but also from cats and dogs, mainly from China."
You may also want to watch:
The protesters also played 80s and 90s pop music from a DVD blaster.
"With it being the trendy and vibrant place it is we thought it would go down well to dress in drag, which it did, Wasp said.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 Man found stabbed on board night bus
- 3 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 4 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Trees planted to remember people who died of Covid in the East End
- 7 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
- 8 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 9 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 10 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
The protesters also said they distributed about 500 leaflets about the process animal go through before ending up as fur.