Driver arrested after woman dies in street outside St George’s church in Shadwell
- Credit: Archant
A driver has been arrested following a road accident in which a 37-year-old woman died in the street outside a church.
He was arrested on Monday following the incident in Cannon Street Road in Shadwell, outside St George’s-in-the-East parish church by the traffic lights with The Highway, the A1203.
Flowers have since been left at the accident spot by wellwishers from Wapping. It’s believed the woman came from the area.
Detectives from the Met’s Roads and Transport policing command are now appealing for information and witnesses to come forward.
Police were called by an ambulance crew at 9pm on December 10 when the woman was found lying in the road with severe head injuries in the pouring rain.
You may also want to watch:
Paramedics treated her at the roadside—but she died at the scene. Her next-of-kin have since been traced.
A 53-year-old man was arrested four days later on suspicion of causing death by careless driving and failing to stop at the scene of an accident. He was taken to a police station for questioning and was later given bail to return in February.
- 1 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 9 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
Police investigators say they need to speak to the drivers of a Zafira and a transit-size maintenance type vehicle which were seen in the area at the time.
Witnesses or anyone with any information are being urged to call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800-555111.