Drugs’ pub gets go-ahead to reopen in East End
A PUB in London’s East End shut down after a police raid when drugs were discovered is reopening next month—despite a call from neighbours to keep it shut. Bethnal Green’s Sebright Arms off Hackney Road has been closed since February after bars of cannabis were found in a locked cupboard
A PUB in London’s East End shut down after a police raid when more than 4lb of drugs were discovered on the premises is reopening next month—despite a call from neighbours to keep it shut.
Bethnal Green’s Sebright Arms in Coate Street, off Hackney Road, has been closed since February after seven nine-ounce bars of cannabis resin were found hidden in a locked cupboard behind the DJ booth.
Police called for the licence to be revoked over claims there was “obviously no control” at the pub.
Neighbours sent letters to Tower Hamlets council, urging the authority to “take into considerations the rights to peaceful enjoyment” by refusing any new alcohol and entertainment license.
But council officials called only for the licence to be suspended for one month and the current Designate Premises Supervisor to be removed at the last Licensing sub committee, following talks with the new publican.
- 1 Travel bulletin: Islington, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 2 RideLondon 2022: East and central London roads among 100 miles of closures
- 3 Abba Voyage: A spectacular trip into an enchanted world
- 4 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 5 Tower Hamlets neighbours must 'temporarily leave' and pay £85k for building repairs
- 6 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 7 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 8 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 9 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 10 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
The licence has been suspended until August 31 on the condition that no former management or employee would have anything to do with the pub and weekly checks would be carried out by the licence holder.