East End artist Gillian Wearing to be made OBE
Turner Prize-winning artist Gillian Wearing is to be made OBE.
The conceptual artist, who is based in Bethnal Green and won the award in 1997, made a name for herself dancing in a shopping centre in Peckham as part of a performance piece and for her films, which included one where she documented the behaviour of teenagers drinking to excess in Britain.
Four years ago she was elected as lifetime member of the Royal Academy of Arts in London.
Her later works included feature length cinema.
The artist shares a studio with her partner, fellow artist Michael Landy.
You may also want to watch:
The recognition for her services to art comes as part of the Queen’s birthday honours.
Another East Ender, Jenny Shalina Wynne is also to be made OBE for services to the papal visit.
- 1 Jailed: Bethnal Green man who tried to buy hand grenade to use on police
- 2 Police bid to trace man in connection with Tube station sex assault
- 3 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 4 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 5 Leyton Orient agree new deal with defender Dan Happe
- 6 Travel: Roadworks at Shoreditch and Bishopsgate could slow traffic
- 7 Former Leyton Orient striker Lee Angol joins Bradford City
- 8 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 9 Fear of crime stalked households during Covid lockdown
- 10 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family