East End brothel shuts down by court order under new law
POLICE have shut down a brothel operating in London’s East End, believed to be one of the first to be closed under new legislation. They had been gathering evidence over several months about the premises in Bethnal Green
POLICE have shut down a brothel operating in London's East End, believed to be one of the first to be closed under new legislation.
They had been gathering evidence over several months about the premises in Bethnal Green which had been operating since 2005.
A Closure Order was granted by Thames magistrates under an amendment to the 2003 Sexual Offences Act which only came into force on April 1.
Sgt Steve Martin, from Whitechapel Town Centre police team, said: "We are sending a clear message that brothels will not be tolerated here and are making sure residents are not affected by nuisance addresses such as this."
You may also want to watch:
The premises in Bethnal Green Road have been shut for a period of three months under the order granted last Thursday.
Police are now working with the owner of the property to evict the tenants permanently.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 2 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 3 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 4 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 5 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 6 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 7 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 8 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 9 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 10 New Providence Wharf fire: Two in hospital and 42 treated at scene