East End charities urged to be on time with yearly accounts
ONE-in-three charities in London’s deprived East End have failed to submit documents on time to the Charities Commission, it has emerged. Now the regulator body is launching an appeal for the 483 organisations in Tower Hamlets to beat the deadline this year
ONE-in-three charities in London’s deprived East End have failed to submit documents on time to the Charities Commission, it has emerged this week.
Now the regulator body is launching an appeal for the 483 organisations in Tower Hamlets to beat the deadline this year.
“It’s not acceptable for charities to send their annual accounts and returns late,” warned the Commission’s chair, Dame Suzi Leather. “They are accountable not just to us, but to their donors, to those whom they exist to help and to the public.
“Charities run the risk of damaging their reputations and putting off potential donors if their financial affairs are not in order.”
You may also want to watch:
Charities are urged to be up-to-date with their financial returns this time, not like the 32 per cent in Tower Hamlets which were late submitting them during the 12 months to the end of December, particularly “in the current climate when every penny counts.”
Charities have 10 months from the end of their financial year to lodge their accounts and Annual Return, which are then posted on the Charity Commission’s website as part of the public Register of Charities.
- 1 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 2 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 3 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 4 Leyton Orient sign Theo Archibald on loan from Lincoln City
- 5 Highest point reached on new homes in disused Bethnal Green car park
- 6 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 7 John McDonnell is character witness for Poplar MP accused of housing fraud
- 8 Thames Path voted UK's No one for walking — even if blocked in places
- 9 Bidding for Harry Kane's signed jersey open in Wapping Youth FC auction
- 10 ‘Humanitarian disaster’ food shortage for East End families in poverty