EASt End children owed �11 million in unpaid maintenance
CHILDREN in the East End are owed more than �11 million in unpaid child support payments. The cash is outstanding on money owed over the last 20 years, including some unpaid arrears dating back 20 years. Absent parents in the old constituency of Poplar an
CHILDREN in the East End are owed more than �11 million in unpaid child support payments.
The cash is outstanding on money owed over the last 20 years, including some unpaid arrears dating back 20 years.
Absent parents in the old constituency of Poplar and Canning Town have avoided paying some �6,567,000 in maintenance for their children whilst youngsters in Bethnal Green and Bow are owed �4, 603,000.
Nationally children are owed �3,761 million in unpaid maintenance according to government figures released by the Department of Work and Pensions.
You may also want to watch:
Tower Hamlets cabinet member with responsibility for children's interests Shiria Khatun said: "It's saddening that any children will have had to suffer."
Gingerbread, the single parents charity has a free helpline on 0808 802 0925 and a top tips leaflet to help chase up maintenance arrears.
- 1 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 2 Jailed: Bethnal Green man who tried to buy hand grenade to use on police
- 3 Fear of crime stalked households during Covid lockdown
- 4 Connor Wood keen to keep developing at Leyton Orient under Kenny Jackett
- 5 Photography celebrating Roman Road displayed in high street windows
- 6 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 7 Travel: Roadworks at Shoreditch and Bishopsgate could slow traffic
- 8 Leyton Orient agree new deal with defender Dan Happe
- 9 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 10 Live audience ban forces east London talent show to go on YouTube