EASt End children owed �11 million in unpaid maintenance
CHILDREN in the East End are owed more than �11 million in unpaid child support payments. The cash is outstanding on money owed over the last 20 years, including some unpaid arrears dating back 20 years. Absent parents in the old constituency of Poplar an
CHILDREN in the East End are owed more than �11 million in unpaid child support payments.
The cash is outstanding on money owed over the last 20 years, including some unpaid arrears dating back 20 years.
Absent parents in the old constituency of Poplar and Canning Town have avoided paying some �6,567,000 in maintenance for their children whilst youngsters in Bethnal Green and Bow are owed �4, 603,000.
Nationally children are owed �3,761 million in unpaid maintenance according to government figures released by the Department of Work and Pensions.
You may also want to watch:
Tower Hamlets cabinet member with responsibility for children's interests Shiria Khatun said: "It's saddening that any children will have had to suffer."
Gingerbread, the single parents charity has a free helpline on 0808 802 0925 and a top tips leaflet to help chase up maintenance arrears.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 8 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided