East End cop commended for snaring teen rapist
A DETECTIVE who caught and brought to trial a teenager who raped a schoolgirl with special needs was praised by Tower Hamlets police s borough commander last week. Det Con David Baines was commended for his professionalism and detective ability at a cerem
A DETECTIVE who caught and brought to trial a teenager who raped a schoolgirl with special needs was praised by Tower Hamlets police's borough commander last week.
Det Con David Baines was commended for his professionalism and detective ability at a ceremony at the Tower of London last Friday after he snared the 16-year-old rapist by tracking his Oyster card.
The boy had attacked the 15-year-old girl, who had hearing difficulties, after he followed her off the number 15 bus in Bow in August 2008.
The victim was in extreme shock after the rape but was eventually convinced to undergo examinations at the Haven rape centre and Royal London Hospital and her attacker was arrested later that day.
You may also want to watch:
As the trial began the victim became increasingly upset and agitated and began to have flashbacks, was unable to sleep, lost weight and developed a phobia of open spaces.
Det Con Baines reassured her throughout the process and arranged for special measures to be put in place at the court and provided support throughout the trial.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 6 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 9 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
Her attacker was sentenced to five years' imprisonment in March last year.
Chief Insp David Grainger said: "If it had not been for the support and professionalism of Det Con Baines then this case would certainly have had a different result.
"Det Con Baines showed his ingenuity and investigation skills when checking Oyster Card travel.